State Voices is a national network – built from the states up – that helps grassroots organizations win civic engagement victories and build long-term political power. Since 2008, we’ve been employing the principles of collective impact, building the capacity of partners with data analysis and shared resources, and strengthening our democracy by amplifying the voices of marginalized communities.
State Voices sustains a dynamic ecosystem of 23 state tables comprised of 784 partner organizations. We provide the organizations in our network with the data, tools, and support they need to help create a healthy and thriving democracy through a racial equity lens. We advance this work through three national programs: Civic Engagement (voter registration and turnout, issue advocacy and constituency engagement), Civic Access (voting rights and election administration) and Civic Representation (census and redistricting).
It’s our collective duty to end the systemic, relentless disenfranchisement targeting communities of color, young adults, LGBTQ people, and single women. That’s why State Voices works year-round to create a more accessible, inclusive, and representative democracy.
The Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) will serve as a critical member of the executive management team and the “Number 2” at State Voices. In collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer the CSO will articulate and implement the strategic plan, build new partnerships to grow and sustain the organization, develop and manage special pilot projects that expand the influence and impact of State Voices and State work, manage director-level staff and serve in a high profile role representing the network.
Implementation of Organizational Strategy:
- Support the development of capacity in the Executive Team around strategic analysis, planning and program budgeting.
- Support the Executive Team and the teams they lead to carry out the organization’s strategic plan.
- In collaboration with the Executive Team, foster an organizational, team-based environment to motivate and inspire staff to work collaboratively toward vision and goals;
- Identify opportunities for State Voices to leverage cross-departmental/cross- team/cross-campaign strengths to innovate and/or make improvements to the work. Coordinate with the CEO and COO on the development of new programs and pilot projects and on integrating successful pilots into program departments as needed;
- Convene and facilitate department lead meetings;
- Develop and implement a system for tracking and reporting on the progress of the strategic plan implementation.
Management of Program Team:
- Oversee the following teams: Data & Technology, Strategic Partnerships (Tools For All), Policy, State Capacity Building, and some Communications;
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership by developing a broad and deep knowledge of all programs and teams;
- Support and manage staff by working closely with State Voices directors and their teams to set, track and achieve their goals;
- Support skill development in managers so that they are able to continuously improve their supervision, coaching and mentoring skills;
- Coordinate with the departmental leadership to identify and create leadership and professional development opportunities for State Voices staff;
- Ensure the continued financial viability of the program team’s operations through sound fiscal management of the team’s budget.
- Support the CEO with External Partnerships
- Along with the CEO, the Board of Directors, the Executive Team, and State Directors, manage and cultivate relationships with funders to secure and expand recurring revenue streams aligned with the organization’s strategic plan;
- Help to develop and maintain national partnerships that support State Voices’ strategic direction;
- Support and facilitate strategic conversations with partners;
- Support fund development efforts through proposal writing and partnering with the CEO and Chief Development Officer to steward funding relationships.
Represent the Organization:
- Act as a liaison to one or more of the Board of Directors’ Committees and assist the CEO with Board management as needed;
- Play an active role in strengthening and maintaining the management and governance culture and practices that reflect the organization’s core values;
- Publicly represent State Voices with the media and external constituency groups including conferences, community, governmental and private organizations and build excitement for State Voices’ mission.
The ideal candidate will possess many, if not all, of the following qualifications:
- A minimum of eight years of nonprofit leadership experience in roles focused on growth, business development, strategy, planning and related issues.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience required.
- Demonstrated commitment to the values of diversity, inclusion, equity, and economic, racial and gender justice.
- Strong relationship building with the ability to find common ground, build consensus and strengthen collaboration among diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience managing a high performing team in a multi-tiered structure including the execution of professional development and mentorship.
- Comprehensive understanding and experience in the field of civic engagement, and political acumen and a sophisticated intersectional analysis.
- Excellent strategic thinking in a political and movement context.
- Big picture, visionary ideas and ideals, and the capacity to convert them into solid strategies and action.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of organizational planning, budgeting, administrative operations and fundraising with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Ability to point to specific examples of having led organizational transformation projects and program development.
- Analytic and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff key objectives and strategies necessary to achieve organizational goals.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to represent the organization externally across a wide range of stakeholders and constituencies.
- Strong community awareness and astuteness.
- Ability to successfully navigate in a fast-paced, outcomes driven and entrepreneurial environment.
- Passion, humility, integrity, positivity, mission-driven and self-directed.
- Ability to manage self in times of stress.
- Please send your resume, salary requirements, and cover letter to [email protected]
- To ensure your submission is properly routed, use the subject line “State Voices Chief Strategy Officer.”
- Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled; however, preference will be given to resumes received by January 31, 2020.
- No calls, please.
Compensation: Compensation is $130,000 – $160,000 based on experience.
Location: Washington, D.C. (with regular national travel)
Reports To: State Voices’ Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
State Voices is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.