State Voices is a national network – built from the states up – that helps grassroots organizations win civic engagement victories and build long-term political power. Since 2008, we’ve been employing the principles of collective impact, building the capacity of partners with data analysis and shared resources, and strengthening our democracy by amplifying the voices of marginalized communities.
State Voices sustains a dynamic ecosystem of 23 state tables comprised of 784 partner organizations. We provide the organizations in our network with the data, tools, and support they need to help create a healthy and thriving democracy through a racial equity lens. We advance this work through three national programs: Civic Engagement (voter registration and turnout, issue advocacy and constituency engagement), Civic Access (voting rights and election administration) and Civic Representation (census and redistricting).
It’s our collective duty to end the systemic, relentless disenfranchisement targeting communities of color, young adults, LGBTQ people, and single women. That’s why State Voices works year-round to create a more accessible, inclusive, and representative democracy.
State Voices seeks a Civic Engagement Data Manager to support the organization’s voter registration and GOTV programs across multiple states. The Civic Engagement Data Manager will report to the Deputy Director of Civic Engagement in the Data & Technology department and will work directly with State Voices’ state and national data staff to roll out a large-scale voter registration project in the Midwest. They will also work with vendors and consultants to develop and present training components for state table staff, support onboarding for new state-level data staff, implement best practices for Voter Registration Data and Quality Control processes, and ensure data integrity and integrations across multiple platforms and programs.
- Work with partners and stakeholders to produce timely data centric reports covering voter registration work performed by State Voices and partners.
- Help develop state-based training curriculum for state tables to present to their partners.
- Work with the State Voices’ national data team, partner data staff, and consultants such as VVN to manage the flow of data related to ongoing voter registration work.
- Work with the State Voices’ national data team and state Data
- Managers to improve standards around training curriculums and materials for national and state-based trainings.
- Work with state data managers to identify and troubleshoot problems in the data pipeline and/or data integration.
- Support state data managers in assuring that voter registration applicants are effectively included in GOTV universes.
- Coordinate with the State Voices national data team and state Data
- Managers on executing field studies on improving voter registration, messaging and non-partisan voter engagement.
- Identify and champion opportunities to evaluate tests and experiments using new and trusted reporting tools and methods.
- Train and coach individuals and national partner organizations to use best practices for using data to drive voter registration and GOTV programs.
- Assist in development and delivery of trainings related to voter registration data and associated technologies (BLOCKS, VAN VRT, Captricity, and others) and attend trainings and check-ins in states where high volume voter registration work is ongoing.
- Support voter registration technologies, advising in-state and partner data and quality control staff on best practices, support issues, and trouble tickets.
- Identify and/or create new tools and reporting for state tables to maximize their voter registration and GOTV programs and goals.
- Work with state data managers and national staff on analysis and reporting of civic engagement data to maximize program results.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess many, if not all, of the following qualifications:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- One or more cycles/years working with at scale Voter Registration, GOTV, or Advocacy Voter Contact data.
- Prior experience using and administering NGP VAN’s Voter Activation Network (The VAN) tool.
- Familiarity with additional common data tools (SQL, EXCEL, Tableau).
- Experience developing trainings and creating training documentation.
- Ability to travel and work occasional evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Willingness to travel out of state (approximately 5-8 days per month).
- Ability to work well with people from diverse communities, particularly with staff and leaders from grassroots community organizations rooted in communities of color.
- Problem-solving skills and ability to work and stay poised under pressure.
- Bilingual capacities in English and Spanish a plus.
- Must be willing to travel frequently around the U.S.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills in person, on the phone, and in writing.
- Knowledge of state-level policy is a plus.
- Strong communication skills
- A strong commitment to racial equity and social justice
- Send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: [email protected].
- To ensure your submission is properly routed, use the subject line “Civic Engagement Data Manager”
- Resumes will be considered on a rolling base; however, preference will be given to resumes received by January 20, 2020.
- No calls please.
Term of Employment: Position funding goes through December of 2020.
Compensation: Compensation is $60,000-75,000 based on experience.
Location: Office is located in Washington, D.C., but working remotely is possible.
Reports To: Senior Voter Registration Data and Training Manager
State Voices is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.