State Voices is a national network – built from the states up – that helps grassroots organizations win civic engagement victories and build long-term political power. Since 2008, we’ve been employing the principles of collective impact, building the capacity of partners with data analysis and shared resources, and strengthening our democracy by amplifying the voices of marginalized communities.
State Voices sustains a dynamic ecosystem of 23 state tables comprised of 784 partner organizations. We provide the organizations in our network with the data, tools, and support they need to help create a healthy and thriving democracy through a racial equity lens. We advance this work through three national programs: Civic Engagement (voter registration and turnout, issue advocacy and constituency engagement), Civic Access (voting rights and election administration) and Civic Representation (census and redistricting).
It’s our collective duty to end the systemic, relentless disenfranchisement targeting communities of color, young adults, LGBTQ people, and single women. That’s why State Voices works year-round to create a more accessible, inclusive, and representative democracy.
State Voices seeks a Civic Engagement Manager to provide general oversight of the organization’s 2020 multi-state voter registration program in communities of color. This candidate will support state staff to reach program goals in Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania. The Civic Engagement Manager will focus specifically on field programs, using site visits and verification reports to analyze needs and provide gap-filling support to in-state partners. This position will report to the Deputy Director of Civic Engagement and will help the department meet its annual strategic goals in service to the states.
- Training: Design and lead field and quality control trainings for in-person and webinar trainings throughout the program.
- Train-the-Trainer: Support state-based staff to design and lead field and programmatic trainings and webinars.
- Capacity building: Support state table voter registration managers through training, regular check-ins and creating opportunities for cross-state collaboration throughout the program.
- Program management: Support the overall success of the program by maintaining regular contact with voter registration program managers and state-based directors. Consistently work with coalition partners to solve problems, share information, and create capacity in the states.
- Site visits: Regular travel to state-based offices to learn about programs, provide coaching and field support for groups conducting voter registration.
- Planning coordination: Support voter registration planning process for 2020 cycle by creating and sharing templates for budgeting and program proposals.
- Civic engagement resources development: Update and expand the civic engagement offerings and resources through the creation of training modules as well as templates and materials in the State Voices resource library.
- Leverage voter registration program best practices: Adapt field, management, and quality control training materials and tools for use by the broader State Voices network.
- Strategic partnerships: Work with the Senior Manager of State Capacity Building to connect with national and state-based partners on a variety of civic engagement projects.
- National convening support: Support national network convenings by leading sessions, coordinating peer-to-peer learning, and supporting the strategic goals of the State Capacity Building department.
The ideal candidate will possess many, if not all, of the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 2-3 cycles of campaign work in electoral, labor or community-based organizations (voter registration experience strongly preferred).
- The ability to work well with people from diverse communities, and particularly with staff and leaders from grassroots community organizations.
- A strong commitment to racial equity and social justice
- A collaborative and facilitative approach to leadership, including the ability to effectively facilitate and manage participatory decision-making processes.
- The ability to demonstrate understanding of the issues presented by a large-scale voter registration program.
- Experience with online canvass management and voter registration tools such as VAN’s Voter
- Registration tool or similar software.
- Strong strategic thinking and planning abilities.
- Problem solving skills and ability to work and stay poised under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills in person, on the phone, and in writing.
- Knowledge of state-level policy is a plus.
- A willingness to travel (anywhere from 5-15 days per month).
- Please send your resume, salary requirements, and cover letter to [email protected]
- To ensure your submission is properly routed, use the subject line “State Voices Civic Engagement Manager.”
- Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled; however, preference will be given to resumes received by January 6, 2020.
- No calls, please.
Compensation: Compensation is $60,000-$75,000 based on experience.
Location: State Voices headquarters is located in Washington, DC, which is the preferred location for this candidate. Candidates living in MI, WI, MN, and PA will also be considered.
Reports To: Deputy Director of Civic Engagement
State Voices is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.