Since 2008, State Voices has been a national leader in nonpartisan civic engagement. We employ the principles of collective impact, unifying change agents from different sectors around common goals to strengthen our democracy, building the capacity of partners with shared resources, and amplifying the voices of the underrepresented. We work in states to strengthen grassroots efforts by making efficient use of limited resources, promoting best practices, and achieving solutions through coordinated action.
State Voices sustains a dynamic ecosystem of 23 state tables comprised of 784 partner organizations. We provide the organizations in our network with the tools and support they need to help create a healthy and thriving democracy. We advance this work through three national programs: Civic Engagement (voter registration and turnout, issue advocacy and constituency engagement), Civic Access (voting rights and election administration) and Civic Representation (census and redistricting).
State Voices seeks a Civic Engagement Manager to provide general oversight of the organization’s 2019-2020 multi-state voter registration program in communities of color. For the duration of 2019, this position will support the voter registration program 50% of the time. Under that body of work, they will be responsible for working with national and state table staff to conduct voter registration trainings, monitor quality control systems, facilitate peer-to-peer learning, and offer field support for groups conducting voter registration. The Civic Engagement Manager will spend the other 50% of their time working directly with the State Capacity Building Department to ensure that state tables have the capacity and skills to build winning campaigns and integrated civic engagement strategies. This position will report to the Senior Manager of State Capacity Building and will help the department meet its annual strategic goals in service to the states. In 2020, the role will move into more fully supporting the voter registration program at 100% time.
Term of Employment: Immediately until approximately December 15, 2020.
- Training: Design and lead field and quality control trainings for in-person and webinar trainings throughout the program.
- Train-the-Trainer: Support state-based staff to design and lead field and programmatic trainings and webinars.
- Capacity building: Support state table voter registration managers through training, regular check-ins and creating opportunities for cross-state collaboration throughout the program.
- Program management: Support the overall success of the program by maintaining regular contact with voter registration program managers and state-based directors. Consistently work with coalition partners to solve problems, share information, and create capacity in the states.
- Site visits: Regular travel to state-based offices to learn about programs, provide coaching and field support for groups conducting voter registration.
- Planning coordination: Support voter registration planning process for 2020 cycle by creating and sharing templates for budgeting and program proposals.
- Civic engagement resources development: Update and expand the civic engagement offerings and resources through the creation of training modules as well as templates and materials in the State Voices resource library.
- Leverage voter registration program best practices: Adapt field, management, and quality control training materials and tools for use by the broader State Voices network.
- Strategic partnerships: Work with the Senior Manager of State Capacity Building to connect with national and state-based partners on a variety of civic engagement projects.
- National convening support: Support national network convenings by leading sessions, coordinating peer-to-peer learning, and supporting the strategic goals of the State Capacity Building department.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following qualifications:
- At least 2-3 cycles of campaign work in electoral, labor or community-based organizations (voter registration experience strongly preferred).
- Ability to work well with people from diverse communities, and particularly with staff and leaders from grassroots community organizations.
- A demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity.
- A community organizer’s orientation (de-escalation or conflict resolution skills a plus)
- Experience completing projects in a coalition or multi-organizational alliance.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills in person, on the phone, and in writing.
- A collaborative and facilitative approach to leadership, including the ability to effectively facilitate and manage participatory decision-making processes.
- Strong strategic thinking and planning abilities.
- Must be able to demonstrate understanding of the issues presented by a large-scale voter registration program.
- Should have experience with online canvass management and voter registration tools such as VAN’s Voter Registration tool or similar software.
- Willingness to travel (anywhere from 5-15 days per month).
- Problem solving skills and ability to work and stay poised under pressure.
- Spanish proficiency a plus.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected]. To ensure your submission is properly routed, your subject line should be “Civic Engagement Manager.” Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled; however, preference will be given to resumes received by July 26. No calls please.
Compensation: Compensation is $60,000-$75,000 based on experience.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at State Voices, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.