About Nebraska Civic Engagement Table:
The Nebraska Civic Engagement Table works with nonprofits to increase voting and build an engaged Nebraska. We will build a more just, inclusive, and engaged Nebraska by increasing the year-round civic participation of our nonprofit members’ supporters and underrepresented communities, including: African-Americans, Latinos, Native Americans, Asian American and Pacific Islanders (AAPI), new citizens, low-income families, women, LGBTQIA+ Nebraskans, and young voters. Our goal is to increase their share of voter turnout, ensure their voices are represented in the policy decisions that affect their lives, and build leadership among community members and our nonprofit partners.
The Nebraska Civic Engagement Table (“Table”) seeks a full-time Communications Director. The primary responsibility of the Communications Director is to oversee the successful implementation of the Table’s communication and community outreach goals. This position will also provide support to Table member organizations in the areas of: media relations, crisis communications, strategic communications planning, unified public policy messaging, and digital advocacy. They will also help inform and implement communications strategies as related to Census 2020, GOTV (Get Out the Vote), and field organizing.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide comprehensive communications support and training for members as requested
- Help members develop written communications plans and templates for project planning, media relations and crisis communications, internal and external
- policy development, and press event planning
- Coordinate, and execute strategic communication efforts with coalition members across the state, as well as manage direct targeted campaigns for grassroots advocacy, Census 2020, and GOTV campaigns
- Work with the NEBRASKA COUNTS Census Director and coalition partners across the state to coordinate communication regarding events, initiatives, and activities to specific audiences throughout the 2020 census effort
- Write coordinated messaging around legislative bills and explicit advocacy requests (e.g. action alerts, LTE campaigns, testimonials, petitions, etc.)
- Manage the production of the Table’s email newsletters and alerts, as well as the annual report and other print collateral
- Maintain Nebraska Table and associated campaigns (e.g. Nebraska Counts) website and social-media accounts
- Commitment to anti-racism, racial equity and inclusion; commitment to building power to transform the lives of everyday people, especially those who experience oppression.
- Ability to create work plans that reflect strategic goals, manage goal progress, and communicate timelines effectively with team members
- Strong writing and communication skills, as well as strong time management skills
- Experience with media relations, crisis communications, and rapid response legislative advocacy
- Experience managing digital advocacy campaigns (digital advertising + social media)
- Willingness to contribute and consider innovative ideas to the team
- Demonstrated history of personal and professional growth; openness and adaptability to change
- Familiarity with Nebraska nonprofits, social justice organizations, and grassroots advocacy movements a plus
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or diverse communities a plus
To apply please send cover letter and resume to [email protected] by November 22, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Location: Omaha or Lincoln
Reports to: Deputy Director
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $45k-$55k, is commensurate with experience, and is negotiable. We provide a full benefits package including 100% coverage of health, dental, and vision insurance premiums for full time staff and their dependents, retirement match, short and long term disability coverage, life insurance, and a cell phone stipend. Our vacation policy provides unlimited PTO to all staff.
The Nebraska Civic Engagement Table encourages applications from all interested candidates regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender identity, or disability.