State Voices Overview
Since 2008, State Voices has been a national leader in nonpartisan civic engagement. We employ the principles of collective impact, unifying change agents from different sectors around common goals to strengthen our democracy, building the capacity of partners with shared resources, and amplifying the voices of the underrepresented. We work in states to strengthen grassroots efforts by making efficient use of limited resources, promoting best practices, and achieving solutions through coordinated action.
State Voices sustains a dynamic ecosystem of 23 state tables comprised of 784 partner organizations. We provide the organizations in our network with the tools and support they need to help create a healthy and thriving democracy. We advance this work through three national programs: Civic Engagement (voter registration and turnout, issue advocacy and constituency engagement), Civic Access (voting rights and election administration) and Civic Representation (census and redistricting).
About the Florida 501(c)(3) Civic Engagement Table
Florida 501(c)(3) Civic Engagement Table is a state based collaboration (“Table”) formed to improve long-term coordination and communication among nonprofit, socially responsible civic
engagement organizations in Florida. The Florida 501(c)(3) Civic Engagement Table’s nonpartisan mission is to engage underrepresented and socially responsible voters in the democratic process and to establish collective action around common issue areas. Those issue areas include voting rights, quality and affordable health care, economic justice, civil rights, improving public education, and more.
Florida 501(c)(3) Civic Engagement Table is a fiscally sponsored project of State Voices, a national network that encompasses nonpartisan civic engagement tables in 20 states.
The Data Associate will primarily support table partners with VAN (Voter Activation Network) administration, basic training, and technical assistance in order to implement their voter engagement work, including advising on the use of voter contact tools. This position will work at the direction of the state Data Manager.
- Administer VAN (Voter Activation Network) for partner organizations and their consultants. This includes managing user and security settings; providing technical assistance; and monitoring the use of the system to ensure compliance with state and national policies. Some examples of VAN work include, but are not limited to creating basic lists, creating survey questions and activist codes, creating scripts, setting up phone banks, cutting turf, bulk uploading data, etc. Note: State Voices offers basic and advanced VAN Training to all data staff.
- Advise partner organizations on the use of voter contact tools and assist them in integrating appropriate voter contact and data tools into their engagement programs.
- Administer ViPER (Visual Progressive Engagement Resource) for partner organizations. Primarily, this consists of creating user accounts and training partners on the tool.
- Administer the Blocks voter registration tool. This includes but not limited to managing users, troubleshooting with partners, creating VR performance reports, tracking progress to goal for partner organizations, etc.
- Support partner organizations in the use of civic engagement and voter contact tools and assist them in assessing and implementing data integration into programs.
- Function as part of a national data team to build and maintain the shared state and national data infrastructure necessary to support partner program work. This includes, but is not limited to required weekly data calls, required biweekly calls with respective Deputy Director of Data & Technology, required convening attendance, etc.
- Provide basic VAN training both in person and remote.
- Improve network partners’ data through list matching, and providing training on better data hygiene and data collection practices.
- Participate in national working groups with other data staff to develop nation-wide standards and best practices. Including but not limited to required weekly data calls, required biweekly calls with respective Deputy Director of Data & Technology, required convening attendance, etc.
- Must complete series of required trainings by State Voices.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess many, if not all, of the following qualifications:
- At least one previous cycle in political, nonprofit, labor, or community organization, either paid or unpaid.
- Ability to work well under pressure, while maintaining a high level of detail orientation and meeting deadlines.
- Sound judgment and critical thinking skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with a broad range of people possessing different skill levels.
- Must be able to work professionally and communicate effectively with staff at all levels of the organization as well as external contacts, constituents and vendors.
- Experience working in coalition with partners, or experience working in diverse communities, particularly in communities of color.
- Candidates must have a willingness and aptitude to seek out and learn new technical skills that will further the mission of the table and assist in presenting data to partners in an accessible manner.
- Background in 501c3 work or the desire to work with progressive organizations.
- Must be organized and able to adapt rapidly to evolving priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity and record of success working with communities of color, women, low-income people, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically marginalized communities.
- Commitment to approaching the work in an inclusive and empathetic way.
- Experience with the VAN (Voter Activation Network)/VoteBuilder or other civic engagement platforms is a plus
- Experience with Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets is a plus.
- To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
- To ensure your submission is properly routed, your subject line should be: “FLCET Data Associate Position”
- Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. No calls please.
Location: Florida, South Florida a plus
Compensation: Compensation is $40,000 – $50,000 and includes a full benefits package. Benefits for eligible State Voices employees include but are not limited to: 100 % employer paid dental and vision insurance, 75% employer paid medical insurance, 401(k) savings plan with employer match, paid vacation, leave, sick, and parental leave.
State Voices is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.