New York Civic Engagement Table is a strategic driver of social change and a laboratory for innovative collaborative work. We support a diverse group of socially responsible organizations committed to creating a better, more just, and democratic world through year-round civic engagement.
Working year-round means our efforts can lead to long-term leadership development and deep empowerment of communities that have largely been on the periphery of political power.
The Data & Field Associate is responsible for providing training and support for partner organizations to take a data-driven approach to integrating voter contact tools into their organizing and voter outreach work. The Data & Field Associate also provides demographic analysis and program evaluations to inform the collective strategic planning process. The ideal candidate has experience in community and/or political organizing, strong analytical and quantitative skills, a passion for progressive politics, experience in integrating text, social media and other outreach into a database, and experience working with spreadsheet and database programs.
- Administering VAN (Voter Activation Network), including day-to-day management of users and committees, handling the timely acquisition of key datasets, ongoing quality control, providing technical assistance, monitoring the use of the system to ensure compliance with state and national policies, creating advanced targeting universes for partners, and matching membership and voter registration data to the VAN
- Train partners and table staff on VAN and other tools, targeting techniques (including the use of statistical models), and best practices for using data.
- Updating and populating our data and program training resources, including writing tutorial articles and creating training videos.
- Work with partner organizations to establish and maintain best practices and standards for data collection, data acquisition, and preservation.
- Produce materials needed to track, coordinate, and identify gaps in collective strategy.
- Support partners to develop plans, make strategic recommendations and provide insight into ways to make data and database operations more efficient and effective.
- Work with partner organizations using the voter file and other technologies to support, enhance, and execute programs. This includes assisting partners in establishing and maintaining best practices and standards for data collection, data acquisition, and preservation.
- Seek out and learn new technical skills that will further the mission of the table, and assist in presenting data to partners in an accessible manner.
- Contribute to national data repository.
- Help maintain documentation of all voter contact, turnout, and election protection data.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- At least one previous cycle in political, nonprofit, labor, or community organization, either paid or unpaid.
- Ability to work well under pressure, while maintaining a high level of detail orientation and meeting deadlines.
- Sound judgment and critical thinking skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with a broad range of people possessing different skill levels.
- Must be able to work professionally and communicate effectively with staff at all levels of the organization as well as external contacts, constituents and vendors.
- Experience working in coalition with partners, or experience working in diverse communities, particularly in communities of color.
- Candidates must have a willingness and aptitude to seek out and learn new technical skills that will further the mission of the table and assist in presenting data to partners in an accessible manner.
- Background in 501c3 work or the desire to work with progressive organizations.
- Must be organized and able to adapt rapidly to evolving priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity and record of success working with communities of color, women, low-income people, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically marginalized communities.
- Commitment to approaching the work in an inclusive and empathetic way.
- Experience with Excel and/or Google Sheets.
- Experience with the VAN (Voter Activation Network)/VoteBuilder or other civic engagement platforms is a plus.
- Experience working with SQL, Python, R, or any other language efficient for analyzing large datasets a plus.
- Experience with databases and constituent relationship management tools a plus.
- Experience with Periscope, Tableau, or other data visualization languages or platforms a plus.
- Experience with digital organizing tools a plus.
- Please apply at this link.
- Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled; however, preference will be given to resumes received by January 31.
- No calls please.
Compensation: Compensation is $53,000 – $60,000 depending on experience. Benefits for eligible New York Civic Engagement Table employees include but are not limited to: 100% employer paid medical insurance, 401(k) savings plan with employer contribution, paid vacation, personal leave, sick, and parental leave.
Location: Must be based in New York with the ability to work remotely with regular travel and in our Manhattan office.
Reports To: Data Director
NYCET is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.