About Oregon Voice
Oregon Voice was founded in 2009 as Oregon’s 501(c)(3) nonpartisan civic engagement table, providing leadership, resources and training to local community organizations, especially those serving a wide range of historically underrepresented constituencies. We work to raise the profile, grow the leadership, and build the shared power of civic engagement organizations in Oregon. Our goal is to prioritize a data-driven approach, support year-around civic engagement, and facilitate a culture of collaboration. We are a project of State Voices, a national network of nonpartisan, 501(c)(3) civic engagement organizations, now active in 20 states.
Oregon Voice seeks a trained technician with a passion for politics and social justice to join our team. We are looking for someone with a rare skill set: expertise using a number of tools, VAN, Catalist data, and census related databases, as well as the ability to translate the purpose and value of these tools to a wide range of audiences and partner organizations. The Data & Targeting Manager drives training and support for partner organizations to take a data-driven approach and to integrate tools like VAN into their organizing & advocacy work. The Data & Targeting Manager also supports Oregon Voice’s staff and governing committee to use data to better inform our network’s collective strategic thinking and program planning.
- Advise partner organizations on the use of voter contact tools and assist them in integrating appropriate voter contact and data tools into their engagement programs. Make recommendations and provide strategic guidance on ways to make programs more efficient and effective.
- Administer voter file system for State Voices partner organizations and their consultants. This includes managing user and security settings; providing technical assistance; and monitoring use of the system to ensure compliance with state and national policies.
- Train partners and table staff on VAN and other tools, targeting techniques (including the use of statistical models), and best practices for using data.
- Analyze program effectiveness and make strategic recommendations to inform table’s program plans as well as individual partner plans. Work with partner organizations to establish and maintain best practices and standards for data collection, data acquisition, and preservation.
- Produce reports and other materials needed to track, support, and coordinate table and partner work.
- Identify and champion opportunities to conduct tests and experiments; assist table staff and partners in facilitating and executing experiments.
- Work with other State Voices staff and partner organizations to ensure voter contact programs are maximizing shared resources, including voter file access, targeting models, and other data resources.
- Function as part of a national data team to build and maintain the shared state and national data infrastructure necessary to support partner program work. Participate in national working groups with other data staff to develop nation-wide standards and best practices.
- Identify data integration challenges facing partner groups doing civic engagement work and find creative solutions that can be used by multiple groups.
- Serve as a core member of the Oregon Voice team, and take on other duties as needed and assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess many, if not all, of the following qualifications:
- An understanding of common direct voter contact programs, including 501(c)(3) permissible programs.
- At least 1-2 years’ experience in labor, political, or community organizing and political campaigns preferred.
- Strong VAN (Voter Activation Network) and Excel skills. Familiarity with online electoral tools such as Catalist, and constituent relationship management tools is a plus.
- A strong commitment to civic engagement and social justice. Experience working with a wide range of communities, especially communities of color and immigrant/refugee communities preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, specifically including the ability to translate instructions into easy to follow language for partners, communicating technical subjects to less technical audiences.
- Experience and comfort leading, conducting and facilitating trainings.
- Excellent organizational, time-management, oral and written communication skills
- Diplomatic, professional approach to problem solving and the ability to think independently and creatively.
- Excellent organizational, time-management, oral and written communications skills. Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently, meet deadlines, work well under pressure, and prioritize work effectively.
- Must be a self-starter; willing to work sometimes long, irregular hours, and to travel as needed.
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “OR Data Manager” in the email subject line.
Compensation: Compensation is competitive and negotiable depending on background and experience, and includes a full benefits package.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at State Voices, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.