The Deputy Director East of Data & Technology primarily serves a supportive role to State Voices tables in the eastern regions of the United States. The Deputy Director East will also oversee any data-related large voter registration program work within the State Voices network and network-wide reporting, which will include the management of a Voter Registration Data & Training Manager and a Voter Registration Data & Program Manager. The 2 Deputy Directors (East and West) of Data and Technology are members of the State Voices Data and Technology Department and work at the direction of the State Voices Director of Data and Technology.
About State Voices
State Voices is a national network of nonpartisan, state-based coalitions working year-round to create a more accessible, inclusive and representative democracy by engaging marginalized and underrepresented communities and strengthening the organizations and leaders that serve them.
Since 2008, our network has been a catalyst for the expansion of non-partisan voter engagement. We have worked to increase voter registration and turnout, combat voter suppression efforts, and advocate for policies that benefit low-income families, people of color, women, youth, the environment, and more. Our 23 state “tables” – comprised of more than 700 grassroots organizations – continue to build enduring power through coordinated planning and campaigns, shared resources, data-driven accountability, and leadership development.
State Voices provides the organizations in our network with the tools and support they need to help create a healthy and thriving democracy. We advance this work through three (3) national programs: Civic Engagement (voter registration, GOTV, issue advocacy, and constituency engagement), Civic Access (voting rights and election administration), and Civic Representation (census, redistricting, and “money in politics”).
- Participate in weekly check-ins with the national data team.
- Assist with the development of the vision and priorities of the department for the network.
- Assist in the hiring and reviews of state data managers and associates in the eastern regions.
- In coordination with the Director and Deputy Director West, plan and host regular data calls for the network, and an annual convening for data staff.
- Manage at least one working group in the Data and Technology department.
- Provide consultation and advice to state table staff on the most effective use of data to help accomplish their organizational and programmatic goals.
- Assist with the planning and hosting of regional calls or convenings in the eastern regions.
- Have biweekly check-ins with all data staff in eastern regions.
- Manage a Voter Registration Data & Training Manager, and work with them to support all data-related voter registration work happening in the network.
- Assist with the onboarding and training of new state table data staff in eastern regions as needed.
- Work with state data managers and national staff on analysis and reporting of data to maximize program results.
- Help to improve and plan aspects of the State Voices Data Certification Program for partners.
- Provide up to 5 hours a week of direct data support for a table in the eastern regions without a Data Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Skills & Qualifications
- 3 or more years of experience in political or nonprofit data.
- Experience using, training on, and administering VAN is a must.
- Demonstrated ability to train non-technical audiences on use of software tools.
- Experience managing and supporting staff is a plus.
- Public speaking or teaching, especially explaining the use of technology and data to non-technical people.
- Familiarity with running webinars or online training/presenting.
- Familiarity with Catalist tools is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Diplomatic, professional approach to problem solving while working independently or on a team.
- Must be open to direction, very organized, and a good written and oral communicator.
- Must be able to manage several tasks and projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively.
- Background in 501c3 work and the desire to work with progressive organizations.
- Comfortable working in a diverse community with people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Must be willing to travel around the Eastern Time Zone of the U.S. as needed.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The first round of interviews will begin the week of March 4, 2019.
Compensation: Compensation is $80,000 to $90,000 depending on background and experience, and includes a full benefits package.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at State Voices, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.