State Voices is a national network – built from the states up – that helps grassroots organizations win civic engagement victories and build long-term political power. Since 2008, we’ve been employing the principles of collective impact, building the capacity of partners with data analysis and shared resources, and strengthening our democracy by amplifying the voices of marginalized communities.
State Voices sustains a dynamic ecosystem of 23 state tables comprised of 784 partner organizations. We provide the organizations in our network with the data, tools, and support they need to help create a healthy and thriving democracy through a racial equity lens. We advance this work through three national programs: Civic Engagement (voter registration and turnout, issue advocacy and constituency engagement), Civic Access (voting rights and election administration) and Civic Representation (census and redistricting).
It’s our collective duty to end the systemic, relentless disenfranchisement targeting communities of color, young adults, LGBTQ people, and single women. That’s why State Voices works year-round to create a more accessible, inclusive, and representative democracy.
State Voices is seeking a creative social justice champion with experience in communications, digital organizing, campaigns, and training facilitation to become State Voices’ Digital Communications Manager. The Digital Communications Manager will oversee the integration and development of new digital organizing and communications tools and strategies for the State Voices network, with an emphasis on providing support to state tables and partners.
The Digital Communications Manager is a member of the Communications Department and will work closely with the Data and Technology, State Capacity Building and Policy Departments. This position will collaborate with and report to the Director of Communications.
- Make recommendations and provide strategic guidance on ways to make communications and digital organizing work of the State Voices network more efficient and effective.
- Provide insight and support for digital communications staff in the states, including regular check-ins with any state staff doing the work.
- Advise partner organizations on the use of digital communications tools and assist them in integrating appropriate tools into their programs.
- Seek out new contracts for digital tools that can be used by the entire network or a group of states.
- Provide in-person and remote training and support for the network (in tandem with the Policy, Data, and State Capacity Building departments) and partner staff (in tandem with Strategic Partnerships Department) on using communications and digital tools.
- Administer EveryAction, Action Network, and other tools for State Voices tables. This includes managing user and security settings, providing technical assistance, and monitoring the use of the system to ensure compliance with state and national policies.
- Identify and champion opportunities to conduct tests and experiments using digital tools; assist table staff and partners in facilitating and executing experiments.
- Produce reports and other materials needed to track, support, and coordinate table and partner communications work.
- Support Director of Communications in keeping contact lists up to date and creating and distributing direct online communications, newsletter and social media posts
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess many of the following qualifications:
- Three years of experience with digital organizing or campaigning
- Experience with racial and gender justice advocacy and organizing.
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills in person, on the phone, and in writing.
- A strong commitment to racial equity and social justice
- Creative and ability to create graphic content a plus.
- Experience using CRMs like Action Network and EveryAction.
- Experience with texting apps like Hustle, Relay, and Revere.
- Experience with relational organizing tools like Team, Vote Circle, and MyRVP.
- Experience developing training materials and facilitating trainings and workshops, especially explaining the use of technology and data to non-technical people.
- Diplomatic, professional, and creative approach to problem-solving while working independently or on a team.
- Eagerness to learn and an interest in helping support the knowledge of others.
- Experience with managing several tasks and projects concurrently and prioritizing work effectively.
- High comfort level working in a diverse community with people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Background in 501c3 work and/or the desire to work with progressive organization is a plus.
- Experience using VAN is a plus.
- Experience using website development tools is a plus.
- Experience with social media and e-newsletters is a plus.
- Knowledge of state-level policy is a plus.
- Send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: [email protected].
- To ensure your submission is properly routed, use the subject line “Digital Communications Manager”
- Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled; however, preference will be given to resumes received by 1 February 2020.
- No calls please.
Compensation: Compensation is $60,000 – $70,000 based on background, skills, and experience. This position includes a full benefits package.
Location: Washington, D.C. with regular travel
Reports To: Director of Communications
State Voices is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.