State Voices is a national network – built from the states up – that helps grassroots organizations win civic engagement victories and build long-term political power. Since 2008, we’ve been employing the principles of collective impact, building the capacity of partners with data analysis and shared resources, and strengthening our democracy by amplifying the voices of marginalized communities.
State Voices sustains a dynamic ecosystem of 23 state tables comprised of 784 partner organizations. We provide the organizations in our network with the data, tools, and support they need to help create a healthy and thriving democracy through a racial equity lens. We advance this work through three national programs: Civic Engagement (voter registration and turnout, issue advocacy and constituency engagement), Civic Access (voting rights and election administration) and Civic Representation (census and redistricting).
It’s our collective duty to end the systemic, relentless disenfranchisement targeting communities of color, young adults, LGBTQ people, and single women. That’s why State Voices works year-round to create a more accessible, inclusive, and representative democracy.
State Voices seeks highly motivated college students or recently graduated students for a 10-week internship. Interns will work with and report to staff in State Voices’ Washington, DC office, focusing on a variety of projects that support the organization’s programs. Through this work, interns will gain a better understanding of the national civic engagement landscape, learn new skills and technology, and work closely with the State Voices Strategic Partnerships and State Capacity Building departments.
Interns will assist with the following projects:
- Build out materials in the Resource Library for the State Voices network
- Assist Strategic Partnerships department with scheduling National Tools For All table and task force meetings and work group meetings, making turn out calls and taking meeting minutes
- Maintain internal national partner database
- Support planning and logistics for national convening’s and partner data trainings
- Develop reports for State Voices Development, Strategic Partnerships, and State Capacity Building departments
- Collect stories from national and state partners demonstrating the added value State Voices data and tools bring to their work
- Support the 2020 state table planning process
- Provide general administration support for the Strategic Partnerships and State Capacity Building Departments
- Other projects, as assigned
The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience working in communities of color
- Solid judgment and critical thinking skills
- Be a self-starter and attentive to detail
- Be a team player and possess the ability to handle multiple tasks
- A good sense of humor is a plus
- Strong working knowledge of MS Excel, Google Docs and PowerPoint, Dropbox, knowledge of database systems, and e-mail clients like MailChimp is a plus
- Please send your resume and cover letter to: [email protected]. Please include “Strategic Partnerships and State Capacity Building Internship” in the e-mail subject line.
- Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled; however, preference will be given to resumes received by January 31.
- No calls, please.
Compensation: Interns are paid $15 per hour and may work up to 30 hours per week.
Location: Washington, DC (the candidate must work out of the Washington, DC office)
Reports To: Deputy Director Strategic Partnerships Department
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at State Voices, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.